Monday, January 26, 2015

La La La.... Just a thought

It's been a while since I wrote.. But I have something bugging me that I need to get out. So here goes nothing.... 

As a young parent I have always second guessed myself since I got pregnant. For example: " the baby will sleep in the crib.. no in a bassinet... no in a play pin" ( Jolene slept in my bed until she was 6 months). But that's not all, even my labor was planned in my head with bits and pieces of what every " seasoned" mom recommended. That being said nothing went like everyone had told me and it snowballed into postpartum depression. Why? BECAUSE nothing went according to what I had been told for the last 9 months. I was crushed. 

Now that I have had Jolene I always feel like an idiot when I have an opinion about children because there is always that mom that says " well Ive had 4 kids and they all blah blah blah"... This can be so hard on a new/young mom. Every child is different, Jolene has been NOTHING like what people said she would be. Examples: 
" You will never sleep"...... I sleep all the time. 
" She will hate her crib and never use it" ......... Jolene has slept in her crib since the first time we put her in it. " You will have to rock her to sleep and sooth her with these 100 techniques".... I have never rocked Jolene to sleep... EVER. I put her in bed and she goes to sleep. 

I could go on and on forever with things that people warned me about that have never happened. They install this fear of all the horrible things that can happen. But in reality how often do these things really happen? 

I have had an AHA moment. As I sat there with Jolene being sick for the first time all I could think of was.... don't call anyone.... Why? Because Jolene needs me there dealing with what is happening not thinking of what could happen. Yes you need to be careful but just because Jane Doe's kid had a worm in its stomach instead of the flu it doesn't mean that is what Jolene has. 

I like to think I am pretty good at this parenting thing. My kid is healthy ( except for this stupid stomach bug), she is smart, and she is happy. So who cares what Patsy did with her kids 20 years ago? I advise new or expecting moms not to take what they hear so seriously. It can make you depressed and hold you back. If you know what kind of mom you want to be then do it. Don't let other dictate with their opinions. I always think when older moms give me advise " Geez... and your kids turned out like that? YIKES. * mental note* don't do that!!!" hah! Its funny but its true. Took me 2 years to realize this. Hope it can help some new moms relax a little. 

La la la.. I am out y'all. Peace.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment